Friday, March 2, 2012

Woes of Recipe writing..




Seems so easy. I like to make up recipes, I like combining flavors, I like working with fun ingredients, I even like creating new things....then it comes to sharing and I stumble hard into a road block. Writing comprehensive, clear and concise recipes is hard (for me).

What is one to do? Especially if one has people saying 'pin it!' or "send me that recipe!" The only thing to do, is to consult google. :) So it turns out there are basic guidelines to follow and I'm assuming that if I keep it at it, it will get easier.

Yesterday was a rare snow day. We have had the strangest winter weather this year, more days of temps of 40+ the not. Yesterday to enjoy the peace of snow falling outside the window I wished create something yummy, carb-tastic even and this is what I came up with:




Pepperoni and Cheese stuffed Italian Herb and Cheese Braided Bread....and not a great picture, sorry!
Oven temp 425 degrees. Cook time: 25 minutes
Bread
1 1/4 Cups of warm water
2 teaspoons of dry active yeast
pinch of sugar
3 Cups AP flour
2 Tablespoons garlic powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of salt
1 teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
3 Tablespoons dried minced onion
2 Tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
1 Cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
olive oil

Filling
1 1/2 Cups of Shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
1 pkg sliced pepperoni

Unsing a stand mixer with a bread hook attachment, mix flour, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and minced onion.
Slowly add water, mixing on med-low speed about 2 minutes just until dough comes together. IF the dough doesn't clean the sides, add flour 1 Tablespoon at a time until it does clear the sides.
Add cheeses. Increase speed to med and knead dough for 5 minutes.
Once dough makes a nice ball, place in a large bowl, rolll in olive oil and cover. Place in a warm draft free place and let rise for one hr.

**My house is cold in the winter so I warm the oven to 175 degrees and then turn it off. Then I place my dough in the bowl, but uncovered, in the oven to let it rise for a hour.

Preheat Oven, with pizza stone inside, to 425 degrees

After dough has doubled in size, lay it out onto a floured surface or a piece of parchment paper. Using fingers, I usually put a little Olive oil on my hands to prevent sticking, pat dough into a large rectangle.

Spread half of the shredded mozzarella down the middle of the bread, about a 2-3 inch column of cheese with plenty of dough left on each side. Place pepperoni on top, I did rows of three. Cover with the remaining shredded mozzarella.

Now using clean kitchen shears, slice cuts to make strips on each side of the dough, about 1 1/2 inch wide, one on each side of the toppings, cuts should go right up to the toppings in the middle. You need to leave about an inch at the top, before you make your cuts. Then cross a strip of dough from the left and the matching one from the right across the toppings all the way down the bread. It should look like a braid.

Remove hot pizza stone (carefully) from oven and place braided bread onto the hot stone. Place back in oven and cook until golden brown, about 25 minutes.

Delicious comfort food, on a snowy cold day! Enjoy!

**This is my first recipe writing adventure, please bear with me and comments are appreciated!!

4 comments:

Meaghan said...

if I knew how to upload a photo I could send you the picture of the masterpiece. It is on my facebook :)

Scott K said...

I think your directions are clear and concise. Good job for your first time!

Maine-ly Rambling said...

I have this on the list for a future meal! I will let you know how following the recipe goes. :) Looks good so far though!!

Terri said...

I was hoping to read the story you sent me!! About the activity I did with your second grade class and the peanut butter sandwich :) I think you did a great job developing the recipe!! I'm proud of you, your undertakings, and your blog!!