Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Make your own: Brown Sugar

Friday I was getting our family ready to travel.  We headed to MA for Easter weekend to stay with family.  It was one of those days that you just feel like you don't stop, can't stop even because if you do, you'll be so far behind you won't recover.  My contribution to dinner was to be appetizer(s) and bread.   For a yummy appetizer, I went with my standby recipe, baked asparagus dip it is so easy to make and simply delicious.  For bread I was a little less decided but in the end went with Shredded Wheat Bread.  I started to make it.....and ooops! I found that I didn't have enough brown sugar.  Now normally it is easy enough to run to the store, but I just didnt have the time, and less then zero desire to do that....so I googled "how to make your own brown sugar" turns out its EASY.  I mean after realizing how easy it is, I might never buy it again!! 

Mix together: 2 Cups Granulated Sugar and 3 Tablespoons of mollases.

mix it really well.....so ok in this picture it wasn't mixed really well....but my kitchen aid was being occupied by bread and so i used the hand mixer....with less perfect results.  The more you beat the better.  If you want darker brown sugar, add more mollasses.  I used this brown sugar for my bread and it was great, I can't tell the difference...can you??

Ingredients:
2 Cups granulated sugar
3 Tablespoons of mollasses (more for darker brown sugar)

mix very well. If there are still some clumps of mollasses, as in my picture above, they will absorb into the sugar as it rests.

Store in air tight container or zipper bag with the air pushed out.

No comments: