Monday, June 4, 2012

Homemade English Muffin Bread

You, my friend, are just five common ingredients away from delicious, homemade english muffin bread.  Honestly it was the 5 ingredient hook that...well, hooked me!  I came across this simple recipe via facebook.  I follow a great blog called One Good Thing by Jillee.  She has hundreds of good things on there!!  This wonderful  bread recipe was featured, I had the ingredients on hand and it's been pouring for days.  It all equaled up to baking AND it is easy AND it is DELICIOUS!!


Now I realize it's a tad wonky looking....but trust me when I say: This. Bread. Is. Delicious.  This recipe makes four loafs of bread. I fully intended to take two of the loaves down to my lovely neighbors house....really I did...but the kids inhaled a loaf after I picked them up from school forcing me to slice another loaf and then Auntie Kim came over and brought us banana bread so I sent her home with a loaf...and that left us a loaf and a half.  Plus it was incredibly easy to make.

English Muffin Bread from One Good Thing By Jillee (check her out you'll love her)
5 1/2 Cups warm water
11 Cups of All Purpose Flour
3 packages Rapid Rise Yeast

** I don't have Rapid Rise Yeast, I have Dry Active Yeast so I measured out 6 3/4 teaspoons and because it's not rapid rise, you let it rise once in your bowl (about an hour) and then another hour in the bread pans so it rises TWICE.**

3 Tablespoons Sugar
2 Tablespoons Salt

In a large bowl (you can use your KitchenAid, but it will fill the 5 QT bowl very full) Mix all ingredients together and stir it all up until it's mixed, it really doesn't take long.  Again, because I used active yeast I set my bowl in a warm dry place (my oven) and let it rise for an hour.  Meanwhile, grease 4 loaf pans very well. Spoon the dough (its super sticky so I used a big metal serving spoon coated in canola oil) into the pans, about 1/3 of the way full, I just made sure I was about even in all pans.  Let them rise for about an hour.  Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and bake about 35-40 minutes.  10 minutes before done, take the bread out and brush the tops with melted butter and pop back into the oven for the remaining time.  The bread is moist at first, let it cool completely before cutting. 

**I think you could make traditional round english muffins if you used a scoop and placed them on a Silpat mat like cookies and baked them...but I haven't tried it so I am not positive about this.

My bread turned out great. It had lots of nooks and crannies, wonderful flavor and so far I've fed it to three adults, all loved it, and four kids and they loved it too :) It's a keeper at our house!!

No comments: