Friday, June 1, 2012

Not your average potato salad

Whew!  It's been over a month since my last post and let me just say, we've been BUSY!! My beautiful sister in law got hitched, my oldest potty trained and my youngest is learning to walk while cutting 6 teeth.  I've basically just been hanging on to my seat for dear life!! I've barely had time to throw a salad together for dinner let alone cook, take pictures and blog...but I'm back on the train people!!

We  are blessed to have family close by to us as well as dear friends that we consider family.  Each Thursday we gather to spend time together and share food.  The host provides the main dish and the others fill in with salads, appetizers or dessert depending on your assignment for the week.  This week we had Reubens.  I so wish I'd taken a picture of those because they were awesome!  My mouth is watering just thinking of them!  My assignment this week was salad, green, pasta or potato.  I usually do a green salad with a homemade dressing but this week my Taste of Home magazine arrived and in it, a tasty looking recipe for potato salad.  I decided to give it a try.

From Taste of Home June/July 2012
Creamy Red Potato Salad
prep: 30 min cook: 20 min + chilling Yield: 12 servings

2 1/2 lbs small red potatoes, cut into 1/4 inch slices (my slices seemed big so I halved them again)

Vinaigrette:
1/3 C canola oil
1/3 red wine vinegar
2Tbs Dijon mustard
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp garlic salt
1/4 tsp pepper

Salad
2/3 Cup mayonnaise (I substituted greek yogurt)
2/3 Cup sour cream
2 Cups sliced radishes
2/3 Cups thinly sliced green onions
1/2 Cup minced fresh parsley
4 hard cooked eggs, chopped

Place potatoes in a pot; cover with water.  Bring to a boil.  Reduce heat; cover and cook potatoes for 15-18 minutes or until tender. Drain.

Transfer potatoes to a large bowl. In a small bowl, whisk the vinaigrette ingredients.  Pour over potatoes; gently toss to coat. Cool slightly.  Cover and refrigerate until chilled

In a small bowl, combine mayonnaise (greek yogurt) and sour cream; stir in radishes, onions and parsley.  Add to potatoes; mix gently. Top with eggs.  Chill until ready to serve.
*I made this early in the morning so that it had all day for the flavors to meld, but making it the day before allows for the flavors to really develop and it tastes even better.
**I felt that it lacked a little in salt and pepper so I added more at the end to taste.

I hope you enjoy this potato salad recipe, the warm weather and most importantly your family!



No comments: