Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Carb-tastic Comfort food!


Pepperoni and Cheese
Pizza Bites

aaaaanddd!

Hawaiian BBQ Pizza,

It's what's for dinner!


Once a week I make dinner for the bigger part of my family, my three "nanny" kids whom I've had since the boys were 14 months old. They turned 9 yesterday! Yikes!! A and M are very good eaters, always have been. N, not so much. This afternoon I was happily perusing some food blogs, and happened upon pizza bites at annies-eats.com. Try her recipe here. Also included within is a link to her pizza crust which is the same recipe I use :) She has lots of great food to check out!!! For an adult addition to supper I also made Hawaiian BBQ Chicken pizza. This is a recipe I made up based on one I had a few years ago. Its delicious, despite my poor photography:) I hope you try it!

Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Pizza

1/2 a batch of homemade pizza dough (recipe for dough here)
1 1/2 C boneless, skinless chicken breast, cubed
1/2 sweet onion, halved and sliced
1/2 Cup BBQ (I used Sweet Baby Rays because that's what I had)
1 Tablespoon Franks Original hot sauce
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
1 1/2 Cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 Cup chunked pineapple in juice, sliced (about three slices per chunk)

Pre heat oven to 425 degrees, with pizza stone in oven (if you don't have a stone you can use an over turned cookie sheet.)

Place cubed chicken in a pan, to brown on med heat. Pour in bbq sauce, hot sauce, garlic powder, and black pepper. Cook until chicken is completely cooked, and sauce has cooked down a little.

On parchment paper, spread dough out into a circle, I make mine to fit my pizza stone. Carefully take hot stone out of the oven and place it on hot pads. Flip dough (very carefully) onto hot stone. This starts the crust cooking, and makes it crusty!

Keep in mind stone is hot, carefully spread shredded mozzarella on top of dough, covering it all. Then spoon the chicken mixture over the top, it should cover the whole pizza. Sprinkle a little more cheese on the top.

Cook at 425 degrees about 12 minutes, or until the bottom of the dough is golden and top is bubbly.

I hope you enjoy!!

4 comments:

Glenda Jeri said...

i am drooling just reading the recipe!! YUMBO!!

Maine-ly Rambling said...

Love Annie--and looove pizza bites! xo

Rita said...

I'm going to try this pizza but first I have to shop - same old story. Remember that late night shopping at Shaws (or maybe Hannafords) in Augusta when I tossed a bunch of stuff in someone else's cart. I thought you and Meg were going to wet yourselves laughing. Or maybe that was me

Meaghan said...

I remember I remember. I still bust into laughter just thinking about it :)