Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Watermelon Salad





Ever feel like you'd just like to do something different with your favorite ingredients? Or maybe you just want a new option for a summer staple?  Last summer that is how I was feeling about watermelon.  I like it, I don't love it.  I don't really enjoy eating hunks of it and I am not a fan of a juicy chin.  I had a large watermelon in the fridge and needed an option for it.  I did some brain storming and found that I liked basil and watermelon together and I enjoy feta and balsamic vinegar with my basil...a little crunch added from some sliced red onion try it all together...and what you have is a summery salad!  Be brave and try it! It's really quite refreshing!

Watermelon Salad
1/2 of a large watermelon, cut into chunks, I used seedless
1/4 - 1/2 of a red onion, sliced
1/2 Cup of feta, crumbled
2 T balsamic vinegar
1 lime, juiced (about 2 Tablespoons or so)
12-15 fresh basil leaves, chopped

Combine all ingredients and chill before serving.

2 comments:

Rita said...

I can't wait for a nice summer day for this salad. Maybe we should just enjoy it now and pretend the perfect day.

kelly said...

This salad is so refreshing! I have never really been a fan of watermelon, but after trying this dish I am! Delish!!!!